18 month fixed term contract with potential to move into permanent role
The advertised role will have a focus on delivering procurement activity within the corporate procurement team. It will cover large scale IT procurements – Experience of leading public sector procurements of ERP or other large scale systems an advantage
The role of Procurement is to work with stakeholders across ECC to understand requirements for goods and services, make an assessment of the market and determine the appropriate strategy for each spend area. The team also actively manage strategic suppliers and their contracts.
The Category and Contract Manager will manage the delivery of sourcing processes in a compliant and timely manner. They will be directly accountable for the effective management of contracts assigned to them, ensuring that service level agreements and key performance indicators are monitored and that any improvements required are well planned and executed. The role will negotiate all commercial or contractual terms to achieve positive outcomes as well as ensuring that contracts keep pace with ECC’s changing requirements. In this case the first projects will be major systems re-procurement.
Effective leadership of multidisciplinary teams will be needed along with supporting the development of colleagues both within procurement and across the Authority.
* Roles at this level will be focused on delivering results in a specific functional area. They will hold expertise on the application of policy and improvement of service delivery. These roles have clear team budgets and targets set within the overall service requirements
* Operational planning and performance review to maintain exceptional service delivery and ensures the political objectives and priorities of the council are met
* Working collaboratively within and across functions to and thinking commercially support the delivery of best possible outcomes for our customers on a financially sustainable basis.
* Maintain and nurture collaborative relationships with other teams in the function and external organisations that support the delivery of annual plans.
* Implementing changes and continually evaluating service to improve the area of work, while maintaining the highest possible levels of service quality are continually delivered
* Managing complex issues and resources to meet the needs of customers and deliver the best possible outcomes
* Lead the development, maintenance and implementation of category strategies, ensuring alignment to commissioning objectives
* Develop and implement innovative approaches and solutions in the delivery of complex projects to enhance levels of service and minimise costs. This requires working collaboratively with colleagues across the organisation and externally, to ensure best practice can be achieved when implementing new ways of working.
* Collaborate with and exert influence on Directors, Senior Managers and Members as to the commercial and financial viability of differing commercial options for specific projects within complex and often, contentious environments.
* Manage suppliers to ensure they consistently achieve the performance standards set out in contracts and that adequate controls are in place to protect the Authority’s interests. Take a proactive approach to identifying and investigating contractual, commercial and market risks to ensure continuity of supply and protect the Authority’s interests.
* Operate a continuous improvement approach to identify and deliver on-going changes whilst also leading the negotiation of commercial and contractual changes to ensure they consistently meet business requirements.
* Lead major projects and tenders, ensuring all sourcing activity fully complies with appropriate legislation and regulation whilst also complying with ECC policies.
* Work collaboratively with incumbent suppliers and potential new entrants to identify gaps in market provision and explore opportunities to close those gaps.
* Provide support and advice to stakeholders regarding any contractual or procurement matters.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
* Educated to degree level with a relevant professional qualification such as MCIPS and or equivalent demonstrable work experience with evidence of continuing professional development.
* Knowledge of category management and experience of using this methodology in complex commercial environments to deliver significant cost or service improvements.
* A demonstrable track record of managing multi-million pound strategic contracts in business critical environments. This should include evidence of defining, measuring and improving key elements of supplier performance.
* Experience of delivering IT systems procurements an advantage
* Experience of delivering continuous improvements in large, strategic arrangements with evidence of generating significant cost and service benefits.
* Knowledge of contract law and legislation relevant to the specific category / categories within their control and its impact on market management, finance and contractual arrangements.
* Extensive knowledge of public sector procurement law with an ability to explain the law to non-procurement staff and find pragmatic solutions to potential legal difficulties.
* Comprehensive negotiating skills appropriate to multi million pound contracts and experience of planning and delivering successful negotiations.
* Experience of working in a political environment and skilled in understanding and responding to different perspectives.
Qualification certificates should be brought to interview.
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees.