SPRINGDALE, Ark. (KFSM) — Crews continue to battle the Springdale Warehouse Fire that’s been smoldering for over 48 hours now.
12-inch styrofoam trays were the first materials in the warehouse to catch fire and keep the fire alive.
“There’s a really good chance that there won’t be anymore flame tomorrow at this time but it’s a guesstimation,” said Fire Captain Matt Bagley.
The thick black smoke has died down but everything inside is still smoldering. Areas of material on the floor about the size of an SUV are still flaming.
Neighbors say they’re thankful the wind has changed the smoke’s direction.
“Only one trip outside the store that’s it. I came back and I’m like I’m not going back outside again because I don’t wanna smell that stuff. It’s bad enough.” said nearby resident Cornelious Luke.
The department says this is the longest fire in the city in more than a decade.
As of Sunday (Dec. 29), the warehouse fire has begun to decrease significantly.
Flames were still visible from Randall Wobbe Lane last night and smoke still billowed from the open roof and windows.
Today, the fire is essentially gone from view. All that is left is a very light smoke that drifts from the roof.
The smell has also left the area which is a relief for those in the neighborhood.
“This whole area was fogged up with smoke and there was ashes falling out of the sky and stuff like that,” said Michael Balmaseda
Michael Balmaseda lives right down the road from A-Advantage. He’s had a front-row seat to this two-day long fire.
“Smoke is inherently bad. We’re not encouraging anybody to breathe it in and that’s why we’re trying to discourage people from being outside in it.” Said Bagley.
The Styrofoam, bed mattresses and cardboard that fueled the fire, produced a dark cloud over the building.
“It smelled like a lot of burning plastic and maybe some chemicals mixed in or something like that…it hurt me a little bit honestly.” Said Balmaseda.
Bagley says this type of smoke can be harmful and should be avoided if possible.
“If nothing else it can cause respiratory irritation which leaves you vulnerable to common infections.” Said Bagley.
For those living nearby, being outside has brought some challenges.
“My voice isn’t usually this raspy. I know that there was something going on with that place because the way it smelled, it just smelled completely bad,” said Balmaseda.
After more than two days, Springdale Fire is hopeful this fire will be completely extinguished by tomorrow.
“There’s a really good chance that there won’t be any more flame by tomorrow morning at this time it’s a guestimation though,” said Bagley.
Throughout the situation, Springdale Hazmat crews monitored air quality levels in real-time as smoke hovered over the residential zone.