Supply Chain Solution of the Year
Weatherproof Sainsbury’s Argos Catalogue Shipper – Smurfit Kappa
Smurfit Kappa was previously supplying Sainsbury’s Argos with a showerproof version of the catalogue shipper. The previous shipper, which was constructed with standard top flaps, would allow a certain amount of moisture ingress.
In late 2017, Sainsbury’s Argos changed catalogue supplier and the new company were leaving the shippers exposed to the elements for longer, resulting in a significant increase in water damaged catalogues.
Sainsbury’s Argos’s expectations subsequently changed from requiring a showerproof shipper to requiring a waterproof one.
A new shipper had to be developed which was eco-friendly, recyclable and sustainable whilst meeting the following criteria;
• Withstand the elements and water ingress whilst stored outside for long periods of time.
• Eliminate the write off costs associated with the increased levels of water-damaged catalogues.
• Be quick and easy to pack at the printers and unpack in store.
• Survive the supply chain from mainland Europe to the UK.
• Meet Sainsbury’s Argos’s environmental policy to reduce the use of single use plastics.
• Incur minimum extra cost compared to the existing shipper.
The new pack satisfied Sainsbury’s Argos’s requirements to provide enhanced protection to the catalogues from the elements (including snow and ice) by, preventing any opportunity for water ingress, providing overall waterproof protection to their catalogues whilst eliminating the need for any additional, internal, single use plastic liners and external, single use stretch wrap. This was achieved by designing the top flaps so that the slots were eliminated, and by creating a seamless self-locking gusseted top closure, which exposed the bare minimum of raw flute edges so that water is prevented from entering the pack. The shipper was also manufactured using Smurfit Kappa Abercarn’s specialist water resistant “Aquashield” material, a recyclable triple lamination of Kraft and polyethylene. The new pack has resulted in significant financial savings for Sainsbury’s Argos.
“A very simple but effective alternative to the previous design and its fully recyclable. The roof feature and reduced complexity with weather resistance is excellent. Classic KISS design!”
“Good solution with quantified supply chain savings.”
● ACDC Lighting Project – The Cardboard Box Company
● Allermuir Seating Project – The Cardboard Box Company
● Fuchs 20 litre Lube Cube – DS Smith Packaging Division
● K1520 Pack – Cepac
● Shock Pack – Cepac
● Weatherproof Sainsbury’s Argos Catalogue Shipper – Smurfit Kappa